Sunday, May 16, 2010

And the hits keep coming

The alarm was sounded because of a bandit attack. They came at our gates with some armored trucks, you know like they use to get money from banks? They came at our front gates, guns blazing, spread out behind the slow moving trucks. We took cover behind the jersey walls as the trucks and men opened fire on us. Between the rain and the concrete dust from the bullets, we were miserable, not to mention the bullets zipping over your head.
We let them get to the edge of the moat and opened up. Our hidden 50 calibers on the Depot’s roof turned the trucks into Swiss cheese, the heavy weapons pealing the metal away and punching completely through the vehicles. Once that happened, the bandits tried to scatter, but by then it was too late for them. Jake and a few guys picked off the fleeing men (and women) as they made for the road or the woods. The Major gave us orders to try to capture a few, so the snipers were going for leg shots making their shots extremely difficult.
Some of the bandits decided to take cover behind the now burning trucks and started throwing dynamite at the gates. Two landed close, tearing the gates off of their hinges and we lost a man in the resulting explosion. Chain link makes for great shrapnel as it spirals through the air. Why are these idiots attacking us with such a vengeance? Order came down to secure some prisoners before Zak got them and make sure no one escapes this time.

After the brief firefight we went into the field and checked the downed bandits. Anyone too hurt to talk or would not live long was put out of their misery. We found 4 men and 1 woman with leg wounds who gave up when we approached. They were all rejects from a Mad Max movie, armor made out of scraps of metal and tires. We were dragging them into the depot when the zombies came, drawn by either the gunfire or the smell of blood.

We pulled back into the depot past the flaming trucks. Even with the rain, they sill burned and actually helped us as Zak would not come near them. That gave us time to pick and choose our targets, conserving our ammo. We had a count of 36 dead humans, bandits and 27 dead heads. We lost 2 men to the bandit attack. Our prisoners were held in the last spare room we had, next to Kurt’s death room. I stayed and made sure we got a new gate up and in place, and had a backhoe push some jersey walls against them so they could not be pushed in. The guys also ran some aircraft cable through the gates and padlocked the cables to the backhoe. This would keep any zombies out until we fixed the gate correctly.

Inside I was admonished by several people for risking myself again. I blamed it all on John and left to find the Major. He was in with the prisoners, all them zip-tied to metal chairs, the only furniture in the room. I hate those metal chairs, circa 1950’s military office furniture, and uncomfortable in the best conditions. The bandits were all dirty, and had really torn up clothes on under the armor, which we had relieved them of, and in the process found several knives. The smell was also enough to turn your stomach. Is this what happens in 2 months after society breaks down? The woman and one man were obviously Latino, the other three men look to be related. White skin and blonde hair, all had similar facial features.

‘Why did you attack our home?’ The Major asked, looking over the tied down people. No one even looked up at him. He repeated the question.
‘We’ve got nothing but time here you know. I think the woman may live, her wounds not that bad, but the rest of you? You’re bleeding all over our nice clean floor.’ J.T. entered the room past me. I leaned against the door frame, my head swimming again. They looked up at him. The Latino man said something in Spanish. The woman laughed. J.T. answered him back. In Spanish. They both looked wild eyed up at him. Oh, it would get better.

I left after about a half hour. I didn’t speak Spanish and I was just plain tired. I went back to my room and Odessa and Doc were waiting on me. The Doc believes the infection has gone down and my leg wound is started to heal again. The dizziness is the anti-biotics and no sleep. He recommended me to take more time off and stay out of the rain. Kentucky in May? More like the tropics, cold and raining one day, hot and humid the next. No wonder I was sick. The Doc excused himself to check on the ‘prisoners’.

I was nearly asleep when John stopped by an hour later. Odessa frowned but made an excuse to leave. He told me he was over near the interrogation, listening. Apparently the Major had okayed a little torture to extract information from the bandits. I am not sure how I feel about this. But then I remembered all the people that fell to their gunfire, in a world full of the walking dead. My resolve came into focus a little more. We found some information; we will check it out later. In the meantime we are keeping the prisoners alive and fed.

I was ordered by the Major to stick by my Dad the next few days until I am healed. I am not sure what I am being punished for. Anyway, I am tired to the bone and I need some rest.

Over.

No comments:

Post a Comment