Sunday, May 2, 2010

Real MayDay

Well, just like the military, hurry up and wait. We were packed long before midnight but told to stand down until the morning. Another fitful night cramped up in the APV. Nothing like being stuck in a METAL box during a thunderstorm. Lightning flashing down all around you. Luckily base camp is in an abandoned barn just east of Lexington, all the trucks are pulled inside out of the weather.

The storms are making radio communications, especially the short wave, very erratic. We heard that someone had taken the 'castle' and fortified it further. For those not around here it is an honest to goodness modern built castle out near the airport. Something about this just warms my heart knowing it is finally being used for it's intended purpose. We made contact with them and they seem to be a wee bit paranoid about others, and can't say I blame them. Maybe if we ever get time to come up here again we could meet up with them. The Major says we don't have the time or resources to go gallivanting around the country. I guess it's my geek-ness showing through. They seem okay at the moment and I really would love to get back home.

We finally were on the road about at about 1120 hours and we have finally made our way back to route 27 to head home when the radio man, er, sorry radio PERSON, Maria, caught something through the static. The gist of it is this; Someone is calling for help in Nicholasville. Said there are 2 families trapped in the Farmers Bank on Main street.
Now Nicholasville is not a real large town (at least where I am from) but a fair size one for this area, and was densely populated. Which means one thing; A lot of Z in the town.

The Major just asked for volunteers. I said I would go, and five others from my crew said they would too. Watson told me under his breath it seems like a trap. I said I got that feeling too, but we are not taking the whole convoy into town, so if it is, they won't be getting much. We stopped in the pouring rain long enough to find two vans along the road. With Watson's help and a jump start both vans came to life. We checked the fuel situation and they both have more than enough to run a few miles into town and meet back up with the convoy on 27 to the South.

Since I do not know the town well enough I get to be shotgun. Fine by me, although the rain seems to be increasing in intensity again. Check list time; Let's see, AR-15, 10 mags of ammo, 9mm, 4 mags of ammo, no holes in the body armor, and a sunny disposition. Yeah, I am all set.
Got to put down the NetBook in the APV. Will report back later, I hope.
Over.

No comments:

Post a Comment