Friday, April 30, 2010

Update 30 April 2010

Well, that was fun.
12 of us and the APV blocking the road and nearly 100 deadheads swarming up to us.
Anyone but me notice some are faster than others? One was jumping over parked cars like he was frickin' Spider-Man. We were on open ground with only the APV and disabled vehicles for cover. Normally you don't need much cover, but the unsavory types (Marauders, was it?) will drive the 'dead into an area and pick off anyone dumb enough to show himself. Unlike the movies, you don't go all ape-sh*t and open up full auto. That is an extreme waste of resources. Select fire only. Anyone in my group caught doing that without a good reason is walking home. But I digress...
So here we are slow firing into the mob of Z's, and they just keep coming. That's when one of them jumps over a few of the downed ones, and leaps on a car then out towards us. Almost all of us were caught off guard. Luckily Morgan had enough sense to use the 12 gauge on it as it was leaping. Damned funny that, not the result, but the thing actually having enough mobility to leap and run.
Luckily again, none of the other Z's had the inclination to follow suit. We put the rest of the mob down rather quickly after that. We rounded up the stragglers and with heavy gloves and breathers put in them in a pile in the middle of the road. I got the jug of alcohol and pine sol (don't laugh) and went to the pile.
This is the most dangerous time out there. Not the Z's coming at you but when you think it is safe. I have seen guys shot by these 'marauders' once the dead were quelled and even see a friend of mine bitten by a 'dead' body we had thought was "B'Lobed" (Bullet Lobotomized). So I pull the duty hoping my people have my back. I pour the mixture until the 5 gallons is gone and wait about a minute or so to make sure it soaked in well. I light a road flare and toss it from a safe distance. The flames rush up and change to all sorts of colors. We stay to make sure nothing is going to be burnt or that nothing is close enough for the wind to carry the fire.
Most people would just let them lay there, but we figure this; The virus/disease/mojo/bad luck/alien infestation/whatever may jump from the dead to the living if it is left to mutate. Also animals are hungry and we really (I don't anyway) need to see Z'animals running around attacking us. So far the deaders only like human flesh and most of the animals are safe so far, but the cities are piling up with feral animals. I myself love animals (people not so much, heh, so I guess I am not having a hard time putting the Z's down as other people have.) and hate to use up precious resources putting them down.
Still funny all these dead coming through here. Not one shot fired at us we were fighting...You don't think they had a personal grudge against those guys in the car that came by here before all this went down? Nah, can't be, the Z's aren't that smart. I hope.

Well, home base says we need to get back. Back in the APV and trundle back to base camp.
Hope those other people are okay, haven't heard any one getting a call from them.
Over.

No comments:

Post a Comment